Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning After Amalgam Removal

Symptoms of Mercury Poisoning After Amalgam Removal

Apr 01, 2022

Chances are if you’ve ever had fillings, some of them might have mercury in them thanks to amalgam, a composite material used to fill teeth. It is good to have these fillings removed because mercury is dangerous. Unfortunately, not every dentist is created equal, and there is a chance that if they conduct the procedure incorrectly, you may wind up with mercury poisoning.

If you’re looking to have amalgam removal, then Steve F. Hinchey, DMD, is your go-to dentist in Glastonbury, CT, for mercury amalgam removal in Glastonbury, CT. We will discuss the effects of mercury poisoning and what to do after amalgam removal if you start feeling sick to avoid any potential side effects.

What Are the Effects of Mercury Poisoning?

Because it doesn’t occur very often, most folks don’t know what it feels like to have mercury poisoning.

If you have mercury poisoning, you will feel like the flu. You will have a headache, feel dizzy and tired, have problems with your vision and hearing, feel like your muscles are weak and painful, experience tremors and changes in your mood and personality, as well as suffer from memory loss.

It is crucial to get treatment for mercury poisoning as soon as possible because if it goes untreated, it can lead to more severe problems such as kidney failure, lung disease, and even death.

Mercury poisoning is a serious business and can cause health problems. Here are some of the more common symptoms:

  • Neurological problems
  • Headaches
  • Memory loss
  • Depression
  • Fatigue
  • Muscle weakness
  • Tremors

Suppose you start to experience any of these symptoms after having your amalgam fillings removed. In that case, you must see a doctor right away as they will diagnose you and treat any mercury poisoning if necessary properly.

What is the Amalgam Removal Process?

The first thing you need to do is find a qualified dentist who specializes in amalgam removal. Once you’ve found the right dentist, schedule an appointment and be sure to let them know about any allergies that you might have.

When you go in for the appointment, the dentist will take X-rays to determine the location of your fillings. They will then numb the area around the tooth and use a drill to remove the filling.

After removing the filling, they will clean out any remaining mercury and seal off the tooth. The whole process usually takes about an hour or two.

Once it’s all done, be sure to follow any instructions your dentist gives you, such as not eating or drinking for a certain period after the procedure.

What to Do After Amalgam Removal?

After having your amalgam fillings removed, you must take care of yourself and avoid any potential sources of mercury exposure. It means avoiding fish high in mercury like swordfish, shark, and tuna and avoiding exposure to mercury in general.

You should also maintain good oral hygiene to protect your teeth after the amalgam removal. Your teeth may be at risk for damage if you don’t take care of them properly.

Getting Sick After Amalgam Removal?

If you start feeling sick after having your amalgam fillings removed, the first thing you should do is see a doctor. They will diagnose you and treat any mercury poisoning if necessary properly.

The doctor will usually prescribe antibiotics, anti-nausea medications, and chelation therapy to treat the poisoning. Chelation therapy is a process where they give you drugs to remove the mercury from your body.

You must take any medication prescribed by your doctor and follow their instructions closely to ensure that you get rid of the mercury poisoning as quickly as possible.

As you can see, there are a few things that you need to be aware of after having amalgam fillings removed. By following these simple steps, you can avoid any potential side effects and ensure that you stay healthy after the procedure.

860-633-6518 Book Appointment